Thursday, May 24, 2012

Keeping the Dream Alive.

You know the thing that kind of sucks about dreams? They're so easy to squash. Or lose track of. Or ignore.

And I'm not talking about dreams about pumpkins that chase you down the street, or dreams that your hair keeps growing and growing until you drown in it; I'm talking about Dreams. Like being a writer*. Or starting your own business**. Or, say, owning a home.

You guessed it. There has been more trouble in the house hunting arena. While we've been happily signing papers and getting bank drafts, there was something sinister brewing, just out of view. A monkey wrench has been thrown into the works, and effed things up so much as to completely derail the train.

Hang in there, buddy.
Although the dream is not necessarily dead, it has had the crap beaten out of it, and it may be on life support for a while.

On the positive side, it means that we'll be staying in the neighbourhood we love, with the school we love, and the Grandma upstairs that we love.

On the negative side, it means that we'll still be living underground, in a space we've outgrown, feeling a little claustrophobic and trapped.

If I let myself, I could get really really upset about this. So, I'm choosing to look on the bright side. This is going to force us to seek out new opportunities; which has got to be good, right? We're going to get rid of a whole lot of the crap that trips us up everyday to try and create more space. This is going to make me get my driver's license so that I can see my nephew as much as I'd like.

So, we're taking a step back and focusing on the other dreams for now. But this one will be simmering on the back burner, just waiting for it's turn.

And lucky you, it means you won't have to hear about it again for awhile; I can focus on more interesting things, like potty training, writer's block, and figuring out what the hell it is that keeps digging up my strawberry plants.


*Which I'm working on. 
**Which I may also be working on.

17 comments:

  1. That's kind of a bummer. At least you have a definitive answer about things for a while instead of the up in the air where are we going to live? thing.
    The squirrels are eating my strawberry plants.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's how I'm choosing to look at it too. The not knowing was probably one of the most stressful aspects of the whole thing.

      Squirrels! Those little bastards! You know what's weird though? They're not actually eating the plants, they're just digging up the roots and leaving them exposed.

      Delete
  2. Aw, I'm sad your house dream is temporarily on hold.

    It could also be skunks digging up the strawberries - they might be looking for grubs to eat, and your strawberry plants are unfortunate innocent bystanders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh lord, I hope it's not skunks... my Grandma's dog is so dumb; there's no way he'd pass up a chance to get skunked. Would skunks be digging in pots?

      Delete
    2. More likely to be squirrels if it is only your pots :)

      Delete
  3. Things looking for grubs are what is wrong with my yard... they're incredibly annoying. I think that things happen for a reason and when it's meant to be it will happen :)

    I need to get my license too

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving the neighborhood and having Grandma upstairs are both really wonderful. I'll bet Grandma is a wee bit happy that you're not going just yet, even if it does mean you'll be cramped and claustrophobic for a little while longer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Y'know, Beth, I did see a little smile there when I told her. :)

      Delete
  5. Hey, I blogged about my driveway for like six months straight and you stuck by me.

    That kind of loyalty is rare - so I will keep coming back and praying that this all works out in the end!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Heh... Marianne, you could write about paint drying and make it interesting.

    Thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bah. :( That just sucks. (But I still think that you should put all of your house illustrations together in a wordless post...it would tell such a visual story!)

    And also...I hope that someday you'll tell us what your book is about. And what business you're starting. Because I'm nosy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just keep telling myself that it could have been much worse - we could have finalised the deal *before* the shit hit the fan. :\

      (I'm going to have to do it, just for you)

      I probably will tell... I mean, I'm the one who brought it up, right?

      Delete
  8. I'm so sorry. I know that's a big fat bummer. I hope that the perfect house and situation comes up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The time just wasn't right for us. It will be someday. :)

      Delete
  9. it will happen. the right house is coming for you, I know it.

    We bid on so many houses and were turned down. Then the RIGHT house appeared, and we got it. If we would have gotten one of those other ones, it would not have been the best one, the one we ended up with.

    The Universe has bigger plans for you. Trust it.

    xxo
    MOV

    ReplyDelete